Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Going Green Isn't Easy, but ...

I have mixed feelings on the Maniates article. I absolutely agree with what you're saying, Stephen, when you argue that the first steps we must take are small ones. I think these small steps are even more important given the perception towards "environmentalism" in many (rural) parts of the country. You can't possibly expect someone who doesn't even believe in recycling (believe me, I've met them - they're some of my family members!) to stop eating beef from corn-fed cows or turn down his thermostat in the winter. I also agree with Lisa that this article is a bit more whiny than constructive.

At the same time, however, I can relate to his central argument, that we all need to grow up, stop bickering about whether or not climate change is real, and do something before it's too late, if it isn't already. Realistically I don't think we as a nation are there yet, but I can't help wishing we were. I also agree with what I think one of his underlying assumptions is: The government needs to have a bigger role in slowing climate change. While some of the greatest movements in America's recent history have come about because of a core of dedicated individuals, I think it's worth asking whether we have the luxury of the time it takes to build up that kind of movement. Maniates argues that "we're treated like children by environmental elites and political leaders too timid to call forth the best in us," but maybe we need to be treated more like children - maybe the government needs to step up, set real and significant environmental goals, and force us, through taxes or subsidies, to follow them. While that probably won't happen because of the way we've idolized economic growth, as McKibben describes, it would be one way to start reducing our carbon footprint immediately. In the end, though, I feel like we're back where we started - back to endless rounds of debates and conversations rather than taking constructive actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment