Wednesday, November 3, 2010

When I first looked at each of the sites, without having to even scroll down the page at all, I saw the little donate bar on each page. I already became skeptical of each site without reading anymore. As Lisa already stated, there is no list of sponsors or other organizations that are affiliated with either site, which led me to question the legitimacy of the sites. Money and politics are what drive the competition around the science of climate change. There is a lack of money in our government to deal with climate change so political leaders are not going to take a stand to make change, especially when they are backed by companies or CEOs that would be hurt if certain changes were made. When it comes to changing the minds of normal citizens, there is just so much information trying to prove climate change doesn’t exist. While I think climate change is indeed a real problem, I can understand with all this anti climate change “stats”, that is almost easier to believe that our actions are not causing these changes in the climate.

As for the two sites, I agree with everyone else, How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic is more legitimate to me. I find Friends of Science’s opinion, a bit amusing. It states that “It is our opinion that the sun is the main direct and indirect driver of climate change”. As Lisa states, I am biased about these sites as I believe climate change is real but I think it is interesting to have these different views. However it does add to the complexity of the issue and trying to take action against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment