Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Meadow


Growing up my entire life in a city, true encounters with nature were really rare. I love living in cities and my city is very green (its called the city of the oaks) but I do wish that I had more opportunities to experience real nature. That being said, the most magical encounter with nature that I've ever had was in the center of my city, in a huge meadow tucked away that I never knew about. It was my Senior year in high school and I was with my friends walking around NC State college in downtown Raleigh. Although we've been to NC States Campus thousands of times, we've never noticed the meadow that's in the middle of it. It was this huge grassy area outlined by flowers and trees, with the brick buildings of the school surrounding it. It was the perfect combination of the peace of nature with the excitement of the city. I have no idea how we ever missed it before but we took full advantage of it. Running down hills, taking pictures, and playing frisbee, we were kids again. We knew it was one of the last times we would all be together before we left for college and we were so glad we found this magical place in the middle of the city where we could just play.
I do think "saving nature" is something we should concern ourselves with. If we didn't save nature we would have no chance at making memories like the ones we're putting in these blog posts. I can't imagine a life that did not have a park full of trees, a rose garden, or a hidden away meadow. Without all this, life would be dreary. Not to mention all of the different plants and animals that call nature home, we are visiting their home and it is our duty to protect it for them. We need to save nature and we need to keep biodiversity thriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment