Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Money, Money, Money

The first thing I think about in regard to my food choices is the price. First and foremost I am a broke college student. When I go to Giant I always buy generic and can rarely afford break the bank for fresh produce instead of canned or frozen produce. The next thing I consider is convenience. Is this something I can make quickly? Is it something that I can pack in my backpack without needing refrigeration. Long days on campus make for the need for on the go meals. When I get home after studying all I really want is to eat, not to spend an hour preparing a meal.

I really don't have environmental considerations in mind when choosing my food. I know that what I eat impacts the environment. But I tend to think of my environmental impact more in terms of the waste I produce or my mode of transportation. Things that cross my mind before the environment when purchasing food are cost, convenience, and even how heavy the item is (as I carry my groceries home).

I think the thing I've eaten in the last few days that had the greatest environmental impact is a bundle of grapes. I say that because though they are not processed, they did come from Chile. I think that the distance they had to travel is absurd and probably very detrimental to the environment. Furthermore, that means that a number of Chileans are using their resources to create things they have an international competitive advantage in producing, but that leads to them trading more. This sort of national specialization in different goods increases trade, which also increases effects of transportation of all of these goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment